Not long ago, if you were looking for someone to provide small business computer support you had only one type of provider to choose from. Whether it was a one-person operation or fully staffed IT company they offered IT service the exact same way. You had something broken and they wanted to bill you by the hour to fix it – we call this model “break/fix.” Check out ten reasons that break/fix is no longer your best option.
Large companies have always had tools available to them to monitor equipment and processes, automate tasks and preventative maintenance measures. In the past, these tools were way out of reach financially for small businesses and their chosen IT service provider. Today, that has changed and so has the way IT Service Providers can offer small business computer services.
There’s a New Way to Provide Computer Support for Small Business
A host of tools now exist that allow IT service providers the ability to provide computer support for small business in a more efficient way. This couldn’t have happened at a better time, as technology advances and the need for small businesses to rely on technology increases, the innovation of managed services has arrived.
The challenge for the small businesses is that Managed Service Providers (MSP) come in many different shapes and sizes. Here are 4 of the typical options that MSP companies offer.
1. Low Service + Low Fees + Additional Billing
- Almost all Managed Service Providers use a tool called Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM). These providers offer to small businesses that they will monitor your computers for a low monthly fee. Because this is a monitor-only service any additional work to fix your IT problems or provide you with preventative maintenance is still billed at an hourly rate.
2. Medium Service + Medium Fees + Additional Billing
- Under this level plan a MSP might offer preventative maintenance as well as monitoring. Things like patching operating systems, deleting temp files and defragging disk drives are all automated tasks with a good RMM tool. They might even offer some additional hours of “repair time” with this type of package but you still receive additional invoices for repair work over and above those allotted hours.
3. Higher Service + Higher Fees + No Additional Billing
- Managed Service Providers offering these plans (sometimes called All-In) do all your monitoring and preventative maintenance plus they also include any service calls to their ServiceDesk and the time it takes to resolve those problems. They’re confident that their tools and processes will reduce problems, making the client happier and the provider more profitable.
4. Highest Service + Highest Fees + No Additional Billing
- This plan would include everything as the previous offer plus include all of your hardware needs. This could be a great solution but keep in mind that typically the MSP owns your hardware infrastructure and their monthly fee includes hardware rental. For some types of hardware, items that may need to be replaced every 2-3 years, this may make sense.
While there will be slight variations to the categories described above, if you are a business owner or manager looking for computer support for your small business, these are the general descriptions you will come across. In the end, only you can decide how important technology is to the operation of your business.
About the Author: Tim O’Neil is President and co-founder of To Solution, Inc., an information technology company based in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Visit https://tosolution.com/blog to read more of Tim’s blogs or connect on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/oneiltim
About ToSolution: To Solution, Inc. is an information technology company providing computer support for small business in Waukesha, Wisconsin and the Greater Milwaukee Area, including Brookfield, Germantown, Menomonee Falls, Mequon, New Berlin, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee and all of Southeastern Wisconsin.
The company was founded in 2010 after the owners, Tim O’Neil and Dan Schneck, decided to merge their existing businesses in order to enhance their IT service offerings. ToSolution has become the managed service provider of choice for businesses seeking reliable and secure computer networks that allow people to focus on growing their business instead of worrying about technology.
If you are looking for an IT Service Provider in Waukesha, consider ToSolution for your IT Network and Security needs.